Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Getting to Work... Roof First This Time!

So on the Camping trip I tore a bit of the roof off that was peeling up (because the rain was coming inside on Wednesday and Thursday) to find it was a failed Fiberglass patch that was curling up. PRetty gnarly looking hole.


So, when I saw that, and noticed these "outlines" almost like a patchwork quilt, it got my curiosity up, so I started to dig. Dig and dig and dig and dig. So I found a bunch more "patches that had failed due to lack of upkeep on the rubber roof one of the previous owners put on. So 5+ years in the hot sun tends to do that...

This is what I found with my roof mining.







This begins a long process of uncovering every rust spot and failed patch until I almost uncovered the entire roof. There goes my hopes of PAINTING this roof, I'm going to have to go with a Roof Coat again. Poo. Oh well, there could be worse things. At least I have the week off, right?

After digging up what I needed to and trying my best to resist digging more I started patching things up and getting it ready for my coats of GOO. 1/2 gallon of Fiber infused roof tar/cement went down first to seal up and protect the exposed patches (Aluminum with Aluminum rivets on Steel roof... not what I wanted to see, but need to keep the water OUT and it should be fine for a few more years)




Next, I added about a gallon of this wonder stuff. It's made by Bondo, but it's a short strand fiberglass infused epoxy resin filler. It's waterproof and worked really well on the 69's roof corners. So over the top of the tar it goes!















Then I cut the cancer out including the gutter... now that was a bit scary. I had to piece two sections together and break the metal to match the gutter for and aft of the section I cut out. Here is the section I cut out, and the new pieces riveted into place.






That was not fun at all... It was filled with the Bondo-Glass and sanded smooth as possible. Does NOT need to be perfect, right? I also ground out the gutters front to back on both sides of the RV to get as much of the Silicone, rubber roof and Bondo OUT of the gutters so they could work properly again. Sanded sanded and sanded some more.

Next up, new rubber roof!

No comments:

Post a Comment